⟵ Back to all roles
Students everywhere deserve the opportunity to discover, learn, and practice science communication. At our Makeathons, 50 high schoolers gather for a day to make projects (such as articles, podcasts, and artwork) about STEM topics of their choice. As an Event Organizer, you'll play a crucial role in making sure that our events run smoothly and provide extraordinary experiences for students, volunteers, and sponsors. You'll interact with students frequently, and work with other team members to continuously raise the bar for our unique events.
🔥 What you'll do
- Recruit, communicate with, and coordinate event volunteers (mentors, workshop leaders, panelists)
- Help plan flexible, realistic schedules with meaningful, fun activities
- Help research, budget for, and purchase prizes, food, marketing materials, and workshop/project materials
- Help market events to high schoolers in greater Boston, especially those from underserved communities and not primarily interested in STEM
- Be a leader in day-of logistics, including but not limited to check-in, opening and closing sessions, and introducing and assisting workshop leaders
- Engage with event attendees both in large groups and individually
- Actively partake in post-event activities: team reflections, assessing attendee feedback, sharing updates with sponsors, making improvements to future events
👀 What we're looking for
- A high school or college student who can dedicate at least 5 hours/week to Science and Us
- Be located in greater Boston and be able to attend our events
- Strong presence and ability to engage large groups of students
- Ability to improvise skillfully and be flexible when unexpected things happen
- Enthusiasm for perfecting our unique Makeathon event format through student feedback and creative ideas
- Motivated to do your best work for all stages and aspects of event planning
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
- Ability to be highly responsive and collaborate with team members through Slack
- High level of autonomy—you get to shape our main program: Makeathons!
- Connections to our network of professional science communicators and sponsors
- Work at one of the world's only organizations bringing science communication to high schoolers
- Potential for speaking and travel opportunities
Ready to apply?
Great! The application is below and has a priority deadline of December 13, 2019. If you have any questions, send us a chat (in the bottom right corner of the page) or email us at [email protected]. We look forward to meeting you!